Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Don't Think They Get It~

I was surprised this morning to hear about Sen.Steve Harrelson's helicopter shenanigans, especially given the resounding message Arkansans sent in November screaming for fiscal restraint. How many elected officials were listening?  


Constituent patience is running lacquer-thin when it comes to political elitism and arrogance.  I was under the impression that point had been sent loud and clear. I am not sure the excuse: “I don’t drive in bad weather” will pass the litmus test of monetary moderation with voters. Yet this was the reason Sen. Sue Madison offered for summoning the Arkansas State Police on Monday to drive her from her home in Fayetteville to Little Rock for legislative events. Wonder how many of us normal folks from NWA made the journey in our own vehicles just fine.

The news story in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette this morning stated that the “State police troopers also drove three to five other lawmakers to Little Rock for part of their trips.”

Now I don’t know who these other lawmakers were (although I plan to find out). Nor do I know the whole story behind Sen. Harrelson’s and Sen. Madison’s state-sponsored travel. But what I do know is that the state of Arkansas has some serious spending problems.  And we really don’t have the so-called balanced budget the Governor constantly pontificates about, which is explained in the blog post: “Balanced Budget? NOT”. We also have the looming unfunded unemployment money borrowed from the feds that is well over $400million, by now, we must somehow repay.

It is incumbent on us to respectfully and consistently remind our elected leaders that they are public servants and, as such, need to be very prudent in the decisions they make to spend our money. As for me?  Well, I’m not inclined to spend it on privileged helicopter rides and personal chauffeurs. But, hey, that’s just me speaking~ again.

1 comment:

bob newbold said...

i think it will take a few more elections for us to get some common sense in our goverment from city,county,state,fed .the full time goverment folks just dont understand we the people are watching how they spend every dollar.